Rice CardBUT… If you accidentally cook too much, or would prefer to batch cook your rice in advance, then here’s some tips on how you can do this safely:
- Cool rice as quickly as possible, ideally within an hour – never exceeding 2 hours. The quickest way to cool leftover rice is to rinse under cold running water.
- Use cooked rice stored in the fridge within 24 hours
- Only reheat rice once
- Reheat until piping hot
Tips for Reheating Cooked Rice:
- Stir fry in a hot frying pan until piping hot
- Steam in a microwave until piping hot – To do this, place your rice in a microwaveable container, add 1-2 tablespoons of water for each cup of rice, place the lid lightly back on top and microwave until steaming hot all the way throughout
Handling Leftover Rice from your My Little Foodie BoxThere is a common misconception that it is not safe to reheat leftover rice, but what’s all the fuss about?! Our Food Safety expert explains… Whilst it is absolutely fine to keep your leftover rice, it’s important you handle it correctly as it is a particularly high-risk product. This is because rice contains bacteria called Bacillus cereus. Bacillus cereus is a spore forming bacteria; meaning that it forms protective layers (spores) which survive the heat of cooking. If cooked rice is left at room temperature for too long, then bacteria can start growing again from the spores and produce toxins; which in turn can cause food poisoning. It’s important to point out here that once these toxins are present, they will NOTbe killed by further reheating; regardless of reheating until piping hot throughout!
So, how can you handle leftover rice safely?How quickly you cool rice after cooking is critical in ensuring that your leftover rice is safe to use! This is why you should always make sure your rice is always cooled down as quickly as possible, ideally within 1 hour and never exceeding 2 hours. This doesn’t mean just putting cooked rice straight in the fridge though as simply putting hot rice in the fridge may not be enough to help cool it down quickly, especially as this will also raise the temperature of the fridge itself. Instead, here’s some tips on how you can help cool your rice quickly so that you can be confident that your leftover rice is safe:
- Rinse under cold water (this works great if you’ve not added anything to the rice – for example when serving our Stage 3 Chicken Curry!)
- Divide into smaller portions
- Spread the rice onto a large surface area; for example using a plate instead of a bowl
- Use an ‘ice bath’
- Stir regularly
Leave a comment